About This Recipe
“This pea soup recipe has been in my family longer than anyone can remember, and is AT LEAST as old as my great, great grandmother, probably older than that even. My favorite soup ever, and now it is my husbands fave too. This is a vegan version, although it is lacto-vegetarian normally. Meat was only added to the soup by certain members of the family, and typically only for company.”
- 2 cups yellow split peas
- 5 cups water
- 2 small carrots, grated
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil or 2 tablespoons other light tasting oil or 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups soy milk or 1 1/2 cups cows milk
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Put peas in large pot, and wash/rinse with water. Add the 5 cups of water, and bring to a rolling boil. Leave boil 5 minutes, turn heat off and cover for an hour.
- Add the carrots, onions, and half of the oil. Bring back to a boil, cover, then leave to simmer for an hour or until the onions are translucent. If a creamier, thicker consistency is desired, leave to cook longer.
- Add the remaining oil, soy milk and spices.
- Serve. Enjoy!
- Vegans-Use only soy milk.
Get More Recipes from FOOD.COM
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR BLOG FOR MORE ANTI-INFLAMMATION RECIPES, EXERCISE TIPS, AND HELP…